I made this Orange Chiffon Cake two weeks ago. I decided to bake it after I saw Sonia posted hers. Sonia's chiffon cake looks so beautiful.... the texture reminds me of the cotton cheesecake. Mind didn't turn out as cottony as hers, so it means I still need to practise my whipping skill for the meringue. But I'm still happy with my chiffon cake!
This recipe is definitely a keeper. However, if I were to use it again, I'll make some slight changes. Firstly, I would add more sugar to the egg yolks as the cake was not sweet enough for me, I think it's because of the orange juice. I would also use the rind of a whole orange & add a tsp of Sunquick orange concentrate for a more intense orange flavour.
Orange Chiffon Cake
3 egg yolks (A size) - at room temperature
15g caster sugar (Next time, I would add more.)
45g orange juice (I used juice from 1 orange.)
40g corn oil (I used canola oil.)
1/2 tsp orange rind (I would use rind from the whole orange in future.)
70g cake flour (sifted)
3 egg whites (A size) - at room temperature
45g caster sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice (I didn't use.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolk & 15g of sugar & immediately whisk until light.
- Add in corn oil, mix well. Then add in orange juice & rind & stir well to combine.
- Add in flour, stir to well combine. Set aside.
- In a clean & dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites and lemon juice till foamy. Gradually, add in the 45g of sugar in 3 batches and continue to beat until soft peak is formed. (It takes about 4-5 mins using speed 3 if using a hand mixer.)
- Take 1/3 of meringue & use a hand whisk to mix well & lighten the egg yolk batter.
- Now change hand whisk to a silicone spatula, fold in another third of the meringue & gently mix till slightly combined. Fold in the rest of the meringue and gently mix till well combined.
- Pour cake batter into a 7-inch tube chiffon pan. Fill batter only until about 80% full. This allows the cake to rise while baking & avoid shrinkage. Tap pan on the counter top to remove air trapped inside the batter.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 170 deg C on the middle rack for 35mins - 40mins or until skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven & immediately invert (turn upside down) the pan and place on a bottle or flat surface so it is suspended over the counter. Let the cake cool completely before removing from pan (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours).
- To remove the cake from the pan, run a plastic or metal thin spatula around the inside of the tube pan and center core.
I'm submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake For Happy Kids, and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal.