Saturday 14 September 2013

Mini Pizza Tarts

My sister-in-law organised a barbecue a few days ago. So I had to think of what to bring along to the chalet. As usual, I took quite some time to decide what to make or bake. Every time I had to make the decision, I would have a list of questions in mind & weigh the pros & cons of bringing the thing that I had in mind... it just slowed down the whole process but I just could't help it... maybe it's the practice I had in school. The funny thing is, very often, I'd end up making the same thing. Haiz...


This time, I decided to make some mini pizzas, again....(except, this time, I used a different recipe for the crust.) Almost two years ago, I made Mini Pizza Pies as my contribution to a barbecue organised by the same SIL. Back then, the pies were quite a hit with the guests, especially with the kids. Come to think of it, who doesn't like pizza....? They were still a big hit this time around... they disappeared within an hour of the gathering!


I also spent some time deciding which mould I should use. At first I wanted to use the medium disposable aluminium tart moulds but I found them too big for finger food. Then I thought of using the small ones but they were too small & shallow. In the end, I used my Chicago Metallic Bakeware Lift & Serve Single Squares, the same ones I had used before. I just love the pan. When I first saw it online, I thought it would be great for mini cheesecakes since the base is removable.  But so far, I've never used it for baking cheesecakes, just tarts. Nevertheless, it was a very good buy... I ordered 4 pans, all the way from the US & waited for more than a month for them to arrive since I opted for the lower shipping cost.  So,  I can make 48 minis in one go! 


Mini Pizza Tarts

SAVOURY SHORTCRUST PASTRY
Adapted from recipe by Paul Allam & David Mcguinness from Bourke Street Bakery, The Ultimate Baking Companion.

300g unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1.5cm cubes
600g plain flour, chilled
5g (1 tsp) salt
15ml (3 tsp) vinegar, chilled
170ml (2/3 cup) water, chilled

Method:
  1. Mix together the flour & salt in a large bowl & toss through the butter. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour to partly combine.  You should now have a floury mix through which you can see squashed pieces of butter.
  2. Combine the vinegar with the chilled water & sprinkle it over the flour mixture & mix until the dough binds together. You should still be able to see streaks of butter marbled through the pastry; this gives a slightly flaky texture to the final product.
  3. Divide into two even-sized portions & shape into two round, flat  discs about 2 cm thick. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
  4. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator 20 minutes before you wish to roll it. Place it between 2 pieces of plastic &, working from the center of the pastry, roll the pastry away from you, then turn the pastry about 30 degrees & roll out again. Continue to repeat this process until you have a flat round disc, about 3 mm thick.
  5. Cut the pastry using a round pastry cutter & place on top of the mould (ensuring it is in the center & use your fingers to gently push the pastry into the mould, moving around the rim until all of the pastry has been inserted. Leave to rest for at least 30 minutes. (I left mine in the fridge.)
  6. Preheat oven at 220 deg C. Slide the pan onto the middle shelf of the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 170 deg C & bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the pastry cases turn golden brown.
  7. Spoon filling into the baked pastry cases & then sprinkle grated cheese.
  8. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or just until the cheese has melted.
FILLING:
500g ground beef
black pepper
Italian herb mix
salt
1 can (300g) Prego tomato spaghetti sauce
mozzarella cheese (grated)

Method:
  1. Fry ground beef in a frying pan until it's cooked & the water (if any) is almost dried up.
  2. Add in black pepper, Italian herb mix & salt. Mix well. Remove from fire.
  3. Combine spaghetti sauce & ground beef & mix well.
(Made 42 tarts.)

I'm  submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers No 35: A Palate For Pizza (September 2013) hosted by Joey of Little Accidents in the Kitchen



I'm also linking this post to Cook-Your-Books No 4 hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours.

6 comments:

victoria bakes said...

what a marvelous twist to pizzas

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Faeez,
Cute and delicious pizza! No wonder they dissappear real fast! And I like your baking pan!
Thank you for sharing with CYB!

Faeez said...

Hi Victoria, thank you. Great idea for gathering, isn't it?

Faeez said...

Joyce, they sure are delicious. I'll be making this more often for gathering. The baking pan is indeed my favourite!

Unknown said...

Faeez, your mini pizza tarts look fabulous! What a brilliant idea to use those square pans ;) From the look of your mini pizza tarts, I can tell it taste very yummy!!

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

This is so cute!!! What a great way to use this baking pan.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...