Wednesday 20 March 2013

Apple Crumble Slice

This apple crumble was supposed to be for dessert after lunch but everyone in the house couldn't wait to eat it!  So we had it for brunch instead! This is my family's all time favourite apple dessert. From the response of the picture I posted in my facebook page, I reckon it's many people's favourite too. I've made this a few times. So far, everyone liked it, even a colleague who didn't like any apple-based dessert. So if you like apple crumble, then you must try this recipe.







Apple Crumble Slice
Recipe by Donna Hay.

Ingredients:
cake
100g butter - at room temperature
½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar - I used 100g only.
1 egg
1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
1 tablespoon milk
1 tsp pure vanilla paste (I added.)
 icing (confectioner's) sugar, to dust - I didn't use.

apple filling
5 apples (peeled and chopped) - I used Granny Smith, the green ones.
10g butter
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon - I used more.

crumble topping
1¼ cups (185g) plain (all-purpose) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
125g butter (I used very cold butter. I chopped it into medium pieces & left it in the freezer until needed.)
 ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar - I used 150g only.
50g chopped walnut (I added.)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 160°C (320ºF). 
  2. To make the crumble, mix the flour, baking powder, butter and sugar in a bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add walnut. Set aside. (I left it in the fridge.)
  3. To make the apple filling, place the apple, butter and cinnamon in a saucepan over low heat and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Allow to cool.
  4. For the cake base, place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat until creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Fold through the flour, baking powder and milk. Spread in a 20cm x 30cm tin (You can also use a 10 x10 inch tin.) lined with non-stick baking paper, top with the apple filling and crumble and bake for 40 minutes until golden. Serves 6–8.

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Hi Faeez,

I'm a big fan of Donna Hay and I believe that this apple crumble recipe is the truly one to bake. Bookmarked!

Zoe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...