Saturday 21 July 2012

Bingka Suji

First of all, I would like to wish all Muslim readers a blessed Ramadan. May this Ramadan bring joy, health, peace and prosperity to all of us. My family will be breaking our fast later at my mum's place. So I baked Bingka Suji this afternoon using the recipe shared by Mat Gebu.


It's quite easy to prepare & it's healthier too. Instead of using coconut milk like many traditional Malay cakes, this bingka uses evaporated & condensed milk. Smells good  but I'm not sure how it tastes. I'll update this post  to let you know the taste.

Update @ 11.40 pm:
I tasted this bingka during iftar this evening. This kuih is really very good. I like it. So does my family. I know because there were only a few pieces left. I heard my father commented that this tasted better than bingka ubi.
Although there was no coconut in it, it’s still rich & the sweetness is just nice. I highly recommend you to make this especially if you liked eating kuih. :))


Instead of baking the bingka in a 8x8 baking pan, I used a Nordic Ware bundt quartet pan & baked for 30 minutes. Even though I did not grease the pan or line it with aluminium foil, it was easy to release it from the pan. The kuih turned out very nice too. I really like using NW pans even when baking traditional cakes!



Bingka Suji
Source: Mat Gebu

Ingredients:
3 whole eggs
140g fine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
150 g semolina
100g sweetened condensed milk
125g evaporated milk
575 ml water
80g plain flour
1 tsp yellow colour
1 tsp vanilla essence
125g butter
Sesame  seeds - for topping (optional)



Directions:
  1. Heat oven up at 180 deg C. Grease 8x8-inch baking pan with butter. Line with aluminium foil & grease foil as well.
  2. Combine egg, salt & sugar in a mixing bowl & mix thoroughly using a hand whisk.
  3. Add condensed milk & semolina & mix until well blended. Then add evaporated milk, water & colouring & mix  well. Then add flour & mix thoroughly.
  4. Pour mixture into a saucepan & heat up on a stove, stirring continuously until mixture thickens slightly. Turn off fire. Finally, add butter & vanilla essence & mix until well blended.
  5. Pour into baking pan & sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake for about 1 hour. Then bake for 5-7 minutes using top fire only. Remove pan from oven. Leave to cool completely before cutting & serving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...