Saturday 16 June 2012

Durian Lapis Cake

It took me longer than usual to bake durian lapis cake yesterday. My 19-year-old Baby Belling oven went kaput.... sign...  Since I've never used any other oven when baking my lapis before, it took  me a while to  get the hang of the correct temperature as I experimented with my other two ovens, the Cornell Chef Master & my big Electrolux oven. In the end, I stuck to my small (& cheap) but very useful Chef Master. Even then, its temperature was not as high as my Belling's because it took about 4-5 minutes, even at its highest temperature of 250 deg C, to bake each layer compared to 2 minutes when using the Belling oven. No wonder Belling oven is many bakers' top choice for baking lapis cake. Anyway, I'm glad the cake turned out fine.....


This lapis cake was ordered by my friend, Haslita, who ordered it for her cousin's engagement. Since it was for the exchange of gifts between the girl & the guy, I dressed the cake up with some flowers & heart shape cake cut-outs. I'm glad Haslita & her mum like the decor....  I also gave some of the cake for Haslita & her family to taste. She called to say the cake was really delicious. I cannot agree more... it's like eating kuih lempok, the traditional durian cake, in a form of a lapis cake. This recipe is another keeper from Bro Rozzan.


Haslita also ordered a pudding to accompany the durian lapis. That will be my next post. In the meantime, have a good  weekend!

Lapis Durian
Adapted from recipe by Bro Rozzan.

Ingredients:
16 oz butter (I used unsalted butter & added 1 tsp salt.)
4 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
14 oz durian flesh

20 egg yolk
6 egg white
1 tbsp cake emulsifier
10 oz sugar
5 1/2 oz self-raising flour

Method:
  1. Preheat oven at about 200 deg C, top grill only. (The temperature for your oven may not be 200 deg C.  A good indicator is each layer will cook & turn golden brown in about 2-3 minutes.)
  2. Line & grease bottom of pan only (8x8 or 10x7 inch). Set aside.
  3. Combine butter, condensed milk & durian in a mixing bowl. Cream on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Set aside.
  4. Combine egg yolk, egg white, emulsifier, sugar & flour in a large mixing bowl & beat on high speed for about 8 minutes.
  5. Combine butter & egg mixture  & mix until well combined.
  6. Pour 2 ladles of mixture into baking pan. Spread evenly & bake for 2-3 minutes until cake is cooked & cake surface turns golden brown.
  7. Remove from oven, press cake surface using a lapis presser or bottom of a glass.
  8. Pour 2 more ladles of batter & bake. Continue the process until finish.

7 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Ahh.. durian. This makes this sinful cake even more sinful.

Faeez said...

Wendy,
I know..... why do they have to be delicious & sinful....sigh.... :(

Meeda said...

Why do you use Self-raising flour when you are using cake emulsifier?

Faeez said...

Meeda,
Self-raising flour contains raising agent which helps the mixture to rise whereas emulsifier, also called stabilizer, helps the oil & liquid in the cake mixture to combine.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Look tempting !

Anonymous said...

As'salam sis

Can i use plain flour instead and add baking powder? for ur kind advice pls. thanx oneD

Faeez said...

Wa'alaikumslm. Yes, u can use plain flour n add baking powder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...