Sunday 29 April 2012

At home on a very humid Sunday...

It's soooo humid here in Singapore! I wish it will rain soon.... cats & dogs! Looking at the sky from the window, I know it's raining in some areas. Unfortunately, not in this area..... Rain, rain, please come here........

It's the time of the year again... children in Singapore are busy with preparations for their mid-year examinations. So we decided to stay at home as I need to supervise & help my boys with their practice papers & revision.


I made Bingka Labu yesterday morning. It's very easy to make.... I combined & mixed all the ingredients  using a hand whisk & then baked them in my small baulu moulds. Good thing I decided to make only 1/4 of the recipe because it makes 28 pieces! That's more than enough for my family weekly gathering at my mum's!



Binka Labu (Traditional Pumpkin Cake)
Recipe by Azizah Mohd Ismail
Source: Mintak Ampun Sedapnya.... by Asmah Laili


Ingredients:
500g plain flour (sifted)
800ml coconut milk extracted from 1 1/2 grated white coconut
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yellow colouring
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
300g yellow pumpkin
200ml water
5 whole eggs
500g caster sugar

Method:
1. Prepare a large 8-petal or multiple small baulu moulds or muffin cups. Grease with butter & leave aside. (I used small baulu moulds & greased with canola oil.)
2.Cut pumpkin into 4-6 wedges. Discard seeds, fibres & cottony parts of pumpkin & wash clean. Do not remove skin yet. Boil pumpkin wedges until tender, peel skin. Blend soft pumpkin meat with 200 ml water to a smooth paste.
3. Beat eggs with sugar until sugar dissolve & eggs are frothy. Add in coconut milk, salt, vanilla essence, yellow colouring, flour & blended pumpkin meat in stages. Beat batter until smooth & then strain to ensure a smooth batter.
4. Preheat greased moulds in preheated oven at 170-180 deg C. Pour batter 3/4 full into moulds. Bake until golden in colour.
(I made 1/4 recipe which made 28 small pieces.)

8 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

next time i know what to do with my leftover pumpkin, this look so good!

Faeez said...

Sonia,
It tastes good too... rich & sweet. I have some leftover pumpkin in the fridge... I think I want to bake your chiffon cake.:)

Quay Po Cooks said...

Faeez, I love recipe that uses leftovers. This look so yummylicious!

Faeez said...

Quay Po,
Like any kuih that uses coconut milk, this is indeed yummy! And leftovers often force us to think what we should do with them!

QembarDelites said...

I love the pandan version of this kuih so this must be good too! Will try n bake this when i get some pumpkin

Faeez said...

Jeannie,
Thanks for dropping by... yes, i love the pandan version too. Please try this... hope you'll like it!:)

lena said...

i;m not sure is it because you used kuih bahulu mould to make this, this looks extremely pretty and so appealing. I've never eaten a traditional pumpkin kuih of this kind!

Faeez said...

Lena,
It could possibly be the kuih baulu mould that creates a nice colour & appearance. My binka ambon also turned out beautiful when I used the mould. I also think using fresh coconut milk makes a difference, I used it for both.:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...